Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What's Up With Man Of Steel?

I think most people would admit that the marketing for Man Of Steel has teased a fantastic film that blends drama and action. However with the current standings at Rotten Tomatoes it holds a measly 68% and a 7/10 overall. Reading the reviews the problems become apparent, too serious, too much action not enough charm. Here is my thoughts on the whole situation regarding what was expected to be one of the biggest films of the year.  I want to start by saying I have yet to see the film, just studying what the negative and positive reviews say about the film.


I don't know about you guys but a more serious more action packed Superman film is pretty much what I was hoping for. Yes, I wanted a Nolan style story with emotion and depth and maybe Man Of Steel misses that mark, but I haven't seen Superman punch anyone since the disaster known as Superman IV. Though many reviews have pointed out that it can be very emotional at times, one constant has been the praise towards the scope and action sequences of the film, though a lack of weight and a somewhat repetitiveness within the action has been noted by some. It's a lot of action, literally the last 45 minutes of the film (so I've heard) is pure destruction and sometimes if not done well it can become dull like Transformers 3 did for me. If you love action and that doesn't bother you then you will love the film.

The seriousness has also been a big point of criticism amongst the mixed reviewers. I believe they wanted it to be like the original Superman, which is exactly what Snyder and crew didn't want. Everyone needs to treat this film like a completely new incarnation of Superman, he is tormented and lost he isn't silly and full of life like Reeve's. Stop expecting that and either embrace the new incarnation or don't. You don't need to bash it based on what it is, respect it for it's merits don't compare it to a classic like Superman: The Movie. I feel if everyone went in without seeing Superman the movie, like many of my friends will get too. They will come out with a much more enjoyable experience.

My Superman review will come out tomorrow night after my 7 o'clock showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment