Sunday, April 21, 2013

Directors To Watch: James Ponsoldt


Though James Ponsoldt is no household name and many of you have probably never experienced any of his 3 films (Off The Black, Smashed, The Spectacular Now), the two I have seen have found ways to standout in my mind. When at Ebertfest yesterday I had the opportunity to experience his newest film The Spectacular Now (which was reviewed by Suzanne), followed by an interview/Q&A that helped me understand what James Ponsoldt is all about. From the interview he stressed honesty and allowing open suggestions from his lead actors who have ranged from up and comers Shailene Woodley and Miles Teller, to veterans such as Nick Nolte and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Having such a open relationship with his actors allows for dialogue changes and a much more comfortable work environment.

My first experience with James Ponsoldt came with last years film Smashed staring Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World) and Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad). A film that revolves around a couple whose relationship seems to run on Alcohol, with both Kate (Winstead) and Charlie (Paul) unable to function without a drink. With a film that is so small, and so basic Ponsoldt never misses an opportunity to bring emotion and surprises to the table. The leads are fantastic and portray one of the most real couples I have ever seen on screen. The star of this show however is Ponsoldt whose writing (along with Susan Burke) and craftsmanship take this 1 hour and 23 minute film to new heights.

The Spectacular Now which holds an August 2nd limited release date, started out as a very conventional cliché romantic coming of age story. I will not lie for the first half of the film I was poorly struck by how conventional the story was. Miles Teller played a very unlikeable popular kid who had the same attitude and problems that every 18 year old boy in movie history had. While Shailene Woodley played a convincing sheltered girl who didn't have more than one friend. Many of you are probably reading this and planning the story out in your head like I did for the beginning of the film. Once again though James Ponsoldt kicked it into a second gear and released a more deep, shocking and emotional film than I was expecting. By the end of the film I liked Miles Teller and felt broken as he did throughout the film, and I felt bad for Woodley whose mistakes pushed her past the point adolescence. The last hour of this film sold me, and once again proved that James Ponsoldt deservers our attention.

When overhearing the questions being asked to James Ponsoldt, he revealed that his next film is a sci-fi book adaptation. He has also signed on for 2 films backed By The Weinstein Company one being a musical, the other being the next book by Silver Linings Playbook author Matthew Quick. Though I didn't catch the name of the sci-fi film it has peaked my interest, because while both Smashed and The Spectacular Now are both great films, they are very similar. I am interest to see what else Ponsoldt can bring to the table, while Suzanne and I wait eagerly for his next film.

I suggestion everyone check out Smashed which is on DVD NOW! Got a director you think deserves recognition? Let us know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment