Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Directors To Watch: Jeff Nichols

 
Jeff Nichols is one of the many directors who has already placed a lasting impression on the Indie film community. I met him at last years Ebertfest when I experience one of the best films of 2011 Take Shelter. Like Ponsoldt, Jeff Nichols has only 3 films to show off his talents, those being Shotgun Stories, Take Shelter, and Mud. Mud like many may know headlined Sundance this year and begins in theatrical run this weekend. You may think I am just highlighting directors I have met but Jeff Nichols really is something special. Take Shelter may be the only film I have seen but its enough to realize what a great filmmaker he is. His stories though light on budget bring big film ambitions and themes. While highlighting character interaction and development the actors that portray these well written characters only bring out the fantastic writing that Nichols does.

My only experience with Jeff Nichols is Take Shelter the 2011 thriller. Its a simple film, based around an all American man who struggles with his sanity. It is in my opinion an American classic that highlights the struggles of an American family with  more problems than their paychecks can handle. In the end its a film about marriage and being on the same page as your spouse. Something that is rather sweet, especially for a film that is far from pleasant. Its at times horrific, in others emotional while being carried by two fantastic performances in the form of Jessica Chastain and the should of been Oscar nominee Michael Shannon. If you haven't seen this film do yourself a favor and pick it up as soon as possible. Its a slow burning drama that should affect you in more ways than you could ever imagine.


This weekend Nichols newest film Mud is released. As of now it holds a 91% on rottentomatoes.com, which only peaks my interest. Though Matthew McConaughey has never been a selling point for me, he seems to be the key component of this Stand By Me esc film. I have done my best not learning everything I can about Mud, because I hope to be surprised come this weekend. If it's anything like Nichols previous work I am sure I will be extremely happy. Not to mention a slow burning drama will help balance out the immense amount of comedy I will get next week with Iron Man 3.

Mud is released on April 26th.

Have you guys seen Take Shelter? Or are you looking forward to Mud? Let us know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment