Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Trey's Top 5 Favorite Films Of All-Time

Since today is my Birthday I decided to give my top 5 favorite movies. The reason I chose top 5 is because the bottom 5 of my top 10 is always in motion. With a list as small as 5 I feel I can get a consistent list that will stay that way for a long time. Here we go!

 
1. The Dark Knight

 
My absolutely favorite movie from one of the best directors of this generation. I have watched this film at least 1000 times and it wasn't till recently I saw this film on the big screen. Yes, I made the huge mistake of missing this movie on initial release and it still is a sore subject for me to this day. What do I love about this film? Besides the generic answer of everything, I love the way it showed a different side of comic book films. I loved Iron Man which came out the same year but this was on a different level. It is mature and realistic, while also being thought provoking and thrilling an absolute masterpiece in any sense of the word. Its technically flawless with absolute gorgeous cinematography and a intense Hans Zimmer score that accompanies the fantastic acting and set pieces. It may not be the most action packed but it reminded me of Heat, a film Nolan used as his inspiration. The big kicker is the incredible performance By Heath Ledger as the Joker, you won't find many performances as good as that one.
 
 
2. Inglorious Bastards

I enjoy myself a Quentin Tarantino film a much as the next guy, but never has one struck me as much as Inglorious Bastards. I was never a fan of the over the top Kill Bill violence and I felt Tarantino couldn't beat his previous films like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I was wrong, severely and utterly wrong. This movie bolsters extremely entertaining performances by Christoph Waltz and Brad Pitt, that at times are more comical than the film itself. It's essentially 2 stories that begin to intertwine near the end for one big finale. My favorite part? the quick witted and clever dialogue written by the master of screenplays Tarantino. Along with the delivery by Christoph Waltz and Brad Pitt. It's really a blast, and now I am unsure if Tarantino has any cards left to play.
 

 
3.Shawshank Redemption

This is a film that I consider the best film of all time. You may be wondering why its sitting at number 3 then? The reason it because it doesn't have the rewatch value and enjoyment factor that the other 2 films ahead of it have.  It is just a perfectly made film that in my opinion holds no flaws. Just because I believe it's the best film ever made it doesn't mean that it has to  be my favorite. I have seen this film around 5-10 times each time marveling at its craftsmanship. The story is what really makes this film perfect, and that ending is chalked full of satisfaction. I guess Stephan King is to thank for this masterpiece? Or the director for adapting it? Either way its a marvelous film that most everyone I have met loved.



4. L.A Confidential

I just recently came across this film after a friend recommendation. I knew nothing about this film because it was released before I really started investing myself in movies. I saw the cover and nodded my head with satisfaction at 3 main actors Kevin Spacey, Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe. Then I sat down and had one of the best 2 hours I have ever had with a movie. The movie is so well written and the overlying theme of justice and how the 3 perceive it is incredible to watch. Then to see each character evolve towards the opposite perception of justice makes every minute of this film worth it. Add in a little romance, a couple shootouts and one well delivered twist and you got yourself a film Noir masterpiece.



5. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

This may be the most debatable one in my top 5 because I know many people who didn't like this film. I will straight up tell them they are crazy because this film is AWESOME with all capital letters. Edgar Wright is an incredible writer and director, and made the funniest movie I have ever seen. I have seen it upwards to 100 times and continue to laugh at every scene every time I watch it. That is not something I can say about many comedies, if any others at all. Add in some flashy special affects that make it feel like a video game and you got a stylistic comedy unlike any film in existence. Its completely innovative and original take on its graphic novel source material. If you haven't seen this film GO WATCH IT!


What do you guys think? Do you hate my list or love it? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment