Thursday, May 23, 2013

5 Things I'd Like To See In Man of Steel

 
Man Of Steel is a mere 21 days away, but who has been counting. I was lucky enough to drag my lazy butt out of bed at 6 in the morning to go wait in line for a Wal-Mart exclusive tickets for the July 13th showing. My girlfriend and I were one of 4 people waiting in line *face palm*, it was worth the wait though! When chowing down on some Wal-Mart powdered donuts I begin to think what would I want to see in a Superman movie. The question is more complex for me because I am not the biggest Superman fan. You may be saying "Whoa dude, why did you wait for exclusive tickets when your not a fan?" my response to that would be, did you see the 3rd trailer? It looks freaking awesome and I am a major fan of Christopher Nolan and Russel Crowe (I even went to see Les Miserables). However since I am not a Superman fan I never felt the disappointment that was Superman Returns, I have never even seen the film in its entirety. I have however seen Superman: The Movie and Superman II the Donner Cut. Both of which I found enjoyable to say the least but besides John Williams infamous score it is pretty outdated. Here are some things a none comic book fan wants to see from Man of Steel.


1. No Kryptonite

I believe kryptonite is the biggest cop out in the history of comic books. Everyone has their weaknesses but when its something as idiotic as a glowing green rock that leaves Superman peeing his pants, I can't get over it. When any situation arrives Lex Luthor or whoever can just pull out the stupid rock and be in control. Screw that! give me a real foe someone who is actually worthy of a fight. Luckily for me Man of Steel seems to have done that with the addition as Kryptonian General Zod. No I don't mean the V-neck disco shirt version...(Sorry Terrence Stamp)

 
 
Man that is low-cut. Instead we get a really menacing bad guy played by an actor who scares me already Michael Shannon. Shannon is immensely underrated and in my opinion will be the highlight of this film.
 
2. No Glasses To Hide Identity
 
Another major comic book gripe of mine is how they can hide their identities without ever hiding their identities. Batman wore a mask because he didn't want the people he loved to get attacked for his exploits. Superman wore... glasses, and not high tech Kryptonian glasses that change your identity, regular glasses that look straight out of Lens Crafters. Green Lantern was a shitty film but even I chuckled when Carol Ferris (Blake Lively) immediately guessed the identity of the new hero and proclaimed "You don't think I would recognize you because I can't see your cheekbones?. You tell em Blake Lively.  I don't want the Clark Kent alter ego unless it can be explained why he is unrecognizable. Spectacles are not a reason, everyone should know that he at least resembles the look of the biggest hero on the planet. I would be completely fine with him never being Clark Kent again, and staying Superman. Be Superman and tell the beautiful Lois Lane (Amy Adams) that she can come with you and live in the fortress of solitude, or a little house in the prairie I don't care.  No Glasses NO SECRET IDENTITY! we are past that corny stuff, it isn't a necessity for the character because being a hero is a 24 hour job.
 
 
3. PUNCH SOMEBODY!
 
I have yet to feel that in a Superman movie the strongest hero could really throw down. I do understand that if he starting wailing on Luthor he would punch a hole in his body, but I need something. Zach Snyder is a very visual heavy director and can offer some seriously cool looking fight scenes (see watchman). I say go crazy Snyder, turn this into a crazy slow motion, super speed fist fighting extravaganza! but don't forget a story is involved and it needs to be a good one.
 
4. Substance over Style, not the other way around
 
 
As much as I won't some crazy action their needs to be a balance. A good story should always come first and I feel that is what made the old Superman films successful. Looking back now they were extremely drama heavy which is what I want from my superhero film. I am tired of comedies with a superhero coating, give me an engaging story. I want deep themes, 3 dimensional characters and raw emotion more than anything. Nolan/Goyer are writing the film which leads me to believe that they will be the balance to Snyder's style.
 
5. Tie in another hero for Justice League film
 
I am not saying I want them to be a character that is significant to the story, but I want to see them. Weather that be after the credits or near the end of the film I want the addition of the Caped Crusader Batman. I have imagined an after credit scene of the wreckage after the fight between Zod and Superman. The camera slowly begins to pan out and zooms in on a couple security cameras either in the street somewhere or on buildings. They all move and the red flash shows they are recording, after zooming into the lens we are left in a dark cave with nothing besides a bunch of screens playing the footage of the fight and a chair. The camera zooms in on the chair and pans around it to reveals that Batman (in costume) is doing his research on the Man of Steel. That may not be high class but I would go crazy if that happens. I am not saying you need to show who is playing Batman, but it is a missed opportunity if they don't. Nolan's Batman trilogy is one of the most successful of all time, why not capitalize on the situation? Fans (besides the diehard comic fans or the haters) will go ballistic if they see both Christian Bale and Henry Cavill interacting in some way shape or form. Think about the hype that would lead into the pre-justice league film or maybe part 1 of the Justice League. I can see it now Justice League: World's Finest, a Superman and Batman team up movie is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment