Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Directors To Watch: Duncan Jones

 
Duncan Jones may be a bit more established than Jeff Nichols and James Ponsoldt but the man only has 2 films under his belt. Both of those films (Source Code and Moon) are critically acclaimed films that exceeded my expectations. I actually saw the films in opposite order from when they released. In 2011 I saw Source Code which I had no expectations for since the film was being released in the dreaded month of January. It turned out surprisingly fantastic and became an instant buy on DVD film as soon as it was released. Then a friend turned me onto Moon and I was blown away by the simplicity yet phenomenal story that was being told. From that point on I was sold on Duncan Jones, and have followed his career since. He is one of the few inexperienced directors I feel needs to be trusted with a big budget projects, the others being Neill Blomkamp and Rian Johnson. Neil Blomkamp seems to be getting that chance with Elysium this year, and with the success of Looper by Rian Johnson his chance will be coming soon. I am begging for Duncan Jones to get that chance and I believe he may have.

What's next for Jones?

The 2 films IMDB has listed as his next films are rather surprising to me, they are online the sci-fi genre he has already established himself in. Both films are in pre-production so nothing is set in stone about release date or what not. The first of the two is an Ian Fleming Biopic who was best known for his James Bond novels. The 2nd film is the big shocker, an adaptation of the popular video game series Warcraft (or World of Warcraft I don't know the difference). This I assume will be his first chance at big budget filmmaking cause it needs to be almost Lord of The Rings like in style. Its essentially a fantasy adventure and though I am not a fan of the video games anymore I would be interested to see what he can do. I hope you will all gives Jones a chance and check out the 2 films he has already release. If you like them like I did, you will instantly look forward to his next project.

What do you guys think of Duncan Jones? Better yet a World Of Warcraft movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment