Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Trey's Blu Ray Collection: Cast Away/Master and Commander

We have now reached one of the few multi-movie collections that I picked up over the year. The reason that I chose this one was because A. I Enjoy Cast Away and B. I have never seen Master and Commander. It was a mere 10 dollars which made the decision to pick it up even more easy to make. I will start with the first film in this double feature Cast Away.

 
I want to start by saying Cast Away is extremely difficult to get through, because it is very long. Each time I watch it I get less and less interested which is never good for a film I have only seen 3 times. Tom Hanks is stellar as usual and the film itself is pretty interesting, it just lost some gusto over the years, much like Forrest Gump has to me. If you don't know the story, it centers around a man stranded on a deserted island. It sounds cliché but how many movies can you name where that happens? I said movies Lost doesn't count. It's a good movie I won't deny that but after repeated viewings it becomes glaringly apparent that it is rather dull. It's worthy of my collection without being the best film in this Double Feature.

Verdict: 3.5 out of 5

As for Master and Commander, it was always the Russel Crowe movie I had yet to see. I heard pretty good things and it was included in my book 501 movies to see before you die, I haven't seen all 501. It was the main reason I bought the double feature and I wasn't disappointed. It may had helped that I got a new sound system installed before watching but the sound effects in this film are insane. The sound of canon balls ripping through ships is thunderous. It made the viewing experience quite spectacular and I still believe to this day it has the best sound in any blu ray. As for the rest of the film it's a slow burning bromance between Russel Crowe the Captain and his ships doctor Paul Bettany. Its a splendid tale of adventure and discovery and my favorite film on the seven seas. There is some truly emotional moments that strike you to the bone along with a satisfying ending. It was worth the 10 dollars, while Cast Away was just an added bonus.

Verdict: 4.5 out 5

Current Standings
1. American Beauty
2. Master And Commander
3. Brothers Grimm
4. Cast Away

No comments:

Post a Comment