Monday, May 20, 2013

Buy It Or Not: May 21st

With May 21st comes some decent action films, a film I have never seen and an interesting physiological thriller. Let's see if any of these films are worth buying.
 
 
Side Effects is a film I found immensely boring and continued a string of Stephan Soderbergh  films that get raving reviews and for me fall flat. That being said there is some interesting aspects in this pharmaceutical psychological thriller. Enough of it is interesting and compelling that I could offer a recommendation to at least rent it and see if you should buy it for yourself. The cast is a mixed bag, with great performances by Jude Law and Rooney Mara while the others fizzle and fall out. Give it a try If you need something to watch one day, but I wouldn't shell out 20 bucks before testing it out.
 
Verdict: Rent It Then Decide
 
 
 
 
I am going to be completely honest, I have never seen this film. I can tell you however it was a rotten film on Rotten Tomatoes with a 45%. Which you can take however you'd like, I can't say I have never liked a rotten film before because Taken got a 58% which is bull crap. Looking at the cast it doesn't feature many highlights besides maybe Academy Award winner Viola Davis. There is also the additions of Jeremy Irons and Emma Thompson are pretty nice. I just feel the supernatural teen thing has been done to death and this book adaptation came late to the party. Not saying it couldn't be a good bit of fun but it doesn't appeal to me. If you have seen it feel free to let me know what you thought.
 
Verdict: N/A
 
 
 
Of course, how could I forget the yearly Jason Statham movie. I have seen pretty much everyone one and the only film I own to this day is Crank (which is half stupid half awesome). There isn't much I need to say about this film, if you own the Jason Statham Ass-Kicking Collection (not a real collection) then you will probably want to add this to your collection. It consist of a series of solid fight scenes, an attractive leading women and even more punches to the face. As far as action films go I'd recommend the next film on the list, but that is just me.
 
Verdict: Pass (unless you love JS movies)
 
 
Looking at the film cover will tell you everything you need to know about this film. Its a corny attempt at an old action star to continue his bad-ass image. Which is pretty much what makes this film entertaining. It's a silly movie that consist of some pretty well filmed and choreographed action sequences. Would I buy this? no but only because I am on a budget. If 1 or 2 years down the line I saw it in the 5 dollar bin, id probably pick it up for a good time. it's not a great movie but its a fun one, which at times everyone needs.
 
Verdict: Buy It (down the line when it is super cheap)
 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment