Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Shane Black Defends Iron Man 3 Twist.

We all know the twist in Iron Man caused quite a uprising amongst fans and others who followed its trailers. Like anything that is controversial someone has to come out and defend themselves, in this case Shane Black the Director of the film. Here is what he says about the Manderin Twist.

SPOILERS!!!


“I would say that we struggled to find a way to present a mythic terrorist that had something about him that registered after the movie’s over as having been a unique take, or a clever idea, or a way to say something of use. And what was of use about the Mandarin’s portrayal in this movie, to me, is that it offers up a way that you can sort of show how people are complicit in being frightened. They buy into things in the way that the audience for this movie buys into it. And hopefully, by the end you’re like, ‘Yeah, we were really frightened of the Mandarin, but in the end he really wasn’t that bad after all.’ In fact, the whole thing was just a product of this anonymous, behind-the-scenes guy. I think that’s a message that’s more interesting for the modern world because I think there’s a lot of behind-the-scenes, a lot of fear, that’s generated toward very available and obvious targets, which could perhaps be directed more intelligently at what’s behind them.”


He makes some fair points but all in all it doesn't help my perception of the twist. I knew nothing of the source material and that wasn't my problem with the twist. My problem was they went to an underdeveloped less interesting villain, while offered a twist up for a cheap laugh. It didn't enhance the film in anyway if anything it made the film falter because Kingsley's performance was so interesting to watch. I don't care one bit about how it cheapens a famous villain, I don't have any clue who he is. I wanted a great movie and for me the twist helped push it in the other direction.

I also don't feel like Shane Black needs to defend himself. He did what he did and he is proud of himself, he doesn't need to prove to anyone that he knew what he is doing. You either liked the twist or you didn't and Shane Black should just acknowledge that. He is a fine director though a bit inexperienced, with some more seasoning his style and flair will work great on some other films, he has nothing to prove.

No comments:

Post a Comment