Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Ray Harryhausen Master Of Special Effects Dead At 93


(June 29th 1920 - May 7th 2013)
 
Though I may be to young to really understand the effect that Ray Harryhausen had on film, it's never to late to appreciate his body of work. I have yet to see any of the films that Ray did special effects work on besides the climactic battle in the 1963 film Jason and The Argonauts. Though today you may laugh at the Claymation like skeletons as they battle Jason in this Greek tale, but you can't deny the entertainment. I sat there watching this scene with Suzanne and we chuckled at how outdated it was. When it was over the first things I said was "I like it a lot, I need to watch this movie". What Ray did was extend the art of stop motion in movies about adventure. The movies include Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of The Titans and slew of Sinbad films. He crafted villains and monsters that beforehand would be men in terrible costumes. In some ways his classic style was far more entertaining than what we see in everyday action films. It was old, yet so fresh in delivery that it makes you enjoy it despite the limitations. The man was master and now is the perfect time for me to experience his work. Though it will be hard, I was spoiled with the advancement of technology my whole life. I think I will enjoy it, and even if I don't Ray Harryhausen will always be one of the most influential people in film history. Though not everyone knows him name, everyone should remember his work and his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment