Saturday, May 18, 2013

Oscar Upsets/Mistakes: Crash Trumps Brokeback Mountain (2005)

This is one that I don't have much say in, I have seen Crash yet haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. I will strictly be doing this by stats and stats alone. In 2005 audiences were shocked everywhere when Crash took home Best Picture over Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain. Is the award justified? Let's break it down.


Brokeback Mountain

Though I can't say I have seen this film, I know for a fact people really enjoy it. With a storyline as controversial as homosexual cowboys, the thought of it attracting audiences is rather shocking. Which is exactly what this film is, shocking. It holds a 87% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 7.7/10 on IMDB, while pulling in 173 million dollars world wide. Impressive numbers for such a controversial film, and I wonder if it would have done even better if it's leading lovers were accepted by everyone. I can only assume that is the case and some negativity for this film results in personal feelings towards homosexuality. None the less on award night it took home 3 awards including Best Director, Adapted Screenplay, and Original Score. Yet, failed to win Best Picture even with it's accolades apparent.

Pros
  • Well known Academy favorite director in Ang Lee
  • Well received by critics and audiences
  • Enough gross to be a winner
Cons
  • Element in homosexuality that not everyone agrees with
Crash

I am going to be completely honest I don't think Crash is that great of a film. Its very average for me and the critic ratings agree with me. Crash received a 75% on Rotten Tomatoes, but holds a 7.9/10 on IMDB. Which to me shows that audience like this film more than critics. It took home 2 Academy Awards in the form of Best Picture and Adapted Screenplay. It's hard for me to sit here and explain why it won and Brokeback Mountain didn't besides the obvious. Crash was also pretty unsuccessful in the box office failing to reach 100 million dollars world wide.

Pros
  • Though provoking and cover themes that are real (bigotry and xenophobia)
  • Fans seem to like it
Cons
  • Fans like it but did poorly in the box office
  • critics didn't seem to love it

Verdict

This clearly shows that this was an upset of epic proportions. I firmly believe that the homosexual aspect of the film was the main reason that it didn't win Best Picture. It was more successful, and critics liked it more. Crash isn't a bad film by any means but saying its worthy of a Best Picture Oscar is too much. Even someone who hasn't seen the film can look at the stats and see this one was an upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment