Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Trey's Blu Ray Collection: The Brothers Grimm

 
This film in my collection is about as mixed as you may see. The Brothers Grimm is a movie that for years I have never heard of. Once I started dating Suzanne, her and another guy from work told me how much they liked the movie. The first thing they said to me was "Don't take it seriously, just enjoy it" which is hard for me to do as is. I ventured to Target and picked up the 7 dollar Blu ray version, which I usually never do because it can be very risky. Luckily, I found it to be pretty enjoyable and overall silly (in a good way).If you don't take it seriously then you should have some hearty laughs as this fairy tale trudges on. This isn't a top tier film by any means and if someone tells me they hate it I could understand. As for me, I had fun watching Matt Damon and Heath Ledger exploit the innocence and obliviousness of the local villager as their occupation of choice. What is that occupation? Somewhere between a monster hunter and a ghost catcher, the twist is they fake it all to get money. It was an early reveal that they were fakes but it made the rest of the film that much more clever and enjoyable. Once the film starts moving and a real witch begins taking children from the local village to regain her youth, the villagers enlist Jacob and Will (Ledgers and Damon). I know this movie has really poor reviews but I feel a lot of people will have fun with this like I did. Terry Gilliam is a really clever director who has a distinctive style that sticks out in this film. It may not be fantastic, but fantasy adventures are few and far between.

Verdict: 3.5/5

Current Rankings

1. American Beauty
2. The Brothers Grimm

No comments:

Post a Comment